Monday, January 28, 2013

Dear Congressman Sam Johnson

Congressman Johnson,
I do not understand your stance on the issue of requiring more extensive background checks and renewing the ban on military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines. This is in no way an infringement of the second amendment of the Constitution for which you are sworn to uphold. There should be a process for acquiring assault weapons. Yes, I know that if a criminal wants a gun he is going to get one, but wouldn't a ban on assault weapons make it just a little bit harder for the criminals to access? No one really needs an RPG.

I am not against gun-ownership. I think it is a right that should not be taken away. However, placing limitations and restrictions on particular weapons is just plain common sense. We put our military through extensive training in order to be able to use weapons effectively. But we would require less training for a private citizen?

I know that when dealing with my four year old daughter I must place limits on her behavior so that she can be safe and happy. Placing limits is not going to prevent the criminals from acquiring weapons. But maybe it will provide a standard for what will be tolerated and what is unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment